I’m Anna, one of the current interns at Stylish Events. I’ve been living abroad for more than 8 years now and I dearly miss my home country, Italy. I am so proud that Italy is such a popular choice for UK Couples wishing to get married internationally and I thought I would share with you my thoughts on what it is that makes Italy so special for weddings.
What I love most about Italy is the variety of landscapes, the history and art that seep out of every house and palace wall, the quality of the light (so important for amazing wedding photos!), the Italian creativity and love of beauty and last but not least, the food!
Photo from Will Be Wedding & Events
Destination weddings are incredibly popular at the moment, and Italy is one of the most sought after locations. The fact that Italy has been a really popular wedding destination for years and the go-to country for romantic honeymoons is not surprising to me, although it’s true, I might be a bit partial on this one 🙂
Here are my top ten reasons for a couple to consider having a destination wedding in Italy:
1. The value for money: A destination wedding might cost as much as the average UK wedding (currently quoted at being around £22,500, or more, in the big Cities), which does not include the honeymoon. However, food and services cost a lot less than in the UK, so you can get so much more for your money and make all your dreams come true.
2. The climate: Italy has a mild climate and, especially in the South, the warm season can extend beyond May to October. The most popular months to get married in Italy are May, June, July and September.
3. The location: One of the main reasons to choose a destination wedding is to have your ceremony in a place which has a special meaning to you, or simply because you love the idea of a gorgeous villa or castle as a stunning background for your reception.
Italy has plenty of amazing and exclusive venues, catering for every taste and budget, from rustic villas to elegant palazzi and everything in between. Choosing a beautiful setting for your reception can also save you money on decoration.
The most popular wedding regional locations in Italy are Tuscany, Puglia, the lakes of Como, Maggiore and Garda, the Amalfi coast, Capri and of course, Venice.
The team at Stylish Events was invited to visit some amazing locations in Puglia last year, with other members of the UK Alliance of Wedding Planners (UKAWP) Find out more about our visit here and here.
The Amalfi Coast, photo from www.jayhawksabroad.dept.ku.edu
The Como Lake, photo from www.milanocard.it
Venice, photo from franciskasvakreverden.blogspot.com
Salento, Puglia, photo from Will Be Wedding & Events
Emilia Romagna, photo from Will Be Wedding & Events
4. The food: If you are a foody, you are in the right place. No one understands the importance of food like Italians. It is a way of socialising, of showing friends and family your love for them; it’s a duty for the perfect host to serve amazing food. So you are going to be sure you will have the most amazing reception with food made from the best natural and locally sourced ingredients, all ripened by the sun and tasting so incredible.
A creation of chef Danilo Di Vuolo, photo from http://www.finedininglovers.it
A creation of chef Carla Aradelli, photo from http://www.finedininglovers.it
A creation of chef Danilo Di Vuolo, photo from http://www.finedininglovers.it
5. The Wine: Italy is not only the country of food, it’s also the country of wine, which should complement and enhance your food choices in the menu, from starters to the cake. There is a great variety of wines to choose from, and you can buy your wine directly from the local producers at a great price. Another great way to put your own stamp on your wedding day.
6. The favours: Italy is a country bursting with creativity and you will find amazing works of art and hand made artisan objects that will be perfect for bespoke and unique wedding favours.
Limoncello liquor favours, photo from www.florenceinferno.com
Favour, photo from www.bombonierenozze.net
7. The “unique” factor: A destination wedding is definitely more unique, true to your style and, I believe, more intimate. It can be less formal than a traditional ceremony in UK if you wish it to be, so it’s the perfect occasion to have your wedding shout “this is our wedding the way we want it to be”.
8. Your wedding festivities can last for more than one day. When you have a destination wedding, chances are you will have a number of other events around the wedding. For instance a family dinner on day one, a large party or BBQ at a local vineyard for all your guests on day two, the wedding on day three, and then a brunch around the pool on day four. Most venues will be able to assist you to find other locations in their area so you can organise different events at different places.
Image courtesy of Tenuta Monacelle
9. The guest list will be probably more selective. You will know that the family and friends you have at your wedding are going to be there because they really want to be with you to celebrate your special day. It also gives them the chance to visit a new location and to have their own holiday time either before or after your wedding.
10. The Honeymoon possibilities: choosing to have your ceremony and reception away from home allows you to already be in close proximity to your fantastic honeymoon destination, and no long flights and no stress. Italy has an incredibly long list of honeymoon destinations, for every taste and budget.
I hope I was able to show you why I think it’s a great idea to get married in beautiful Italy!
Stay tuned for more information about the legalities of how to get married in Italy, in my next blog post.
Now, here is the great news: if you are already considering Italy as the place to get married, or would like to know more about this possibility, we have something for you!
Stylish Events, in collaboration with an Italian based wedding planner, Francesca Negro of Will Be Wedding & Events, is organising a glamorous, boutique and bespoke event, the “Italian Destination Wedding Show”. This event, which will showcase a combination of the best Italian and UK bridal suppliers, is targeted to all UK couples that wish to get married in Italy or simply wish to know more about this possibility. We will introduce you to the best suppliers with which we have close contact.
We have invited more than 20 amazing, hand picked industry professionals of the highest quality, covering all aspects of a wedding, and all in one specifically set up wedding fair.
The Italian Destination Wedding Show will take place on the 26th October between 11.00 am and 4.00 pm. The stunning location of the event will be The Sofitel, St James in London, a 5 star luxury, grade II listed hotel in the heart of London, and only two minutes walk from Piccadilly Circus tube station.
For a small entrance fee of £5.00 you will be offered a glass of Prosecco and delicious canapés. You will be also treated with a luxury goody bag containing exclusive presents and discounts provided by all the suppliers present at the event. And last but not least you will be able to have one on one conversations and consultations with our great contacts.
Both the team at Stylish Events and Will Be Wedding & Events will be available to discuss our newly set up service of full wedding planning for your destination wedding in Italy.
To find out more about the event and to book your ticket, please visit The Italian Destination Wedding Show website. Following registration you will be required to fill in a short questionnaire and you will be able to join our newsletter, should you desire to be kept updated on the event details.
Hope to see as many of you as possible on 26th October!